Tuesday, July 12, 2011

If only to have gills.

I miss the water. I miss the silence and loneliness. I miss not being able to hear anyone no matter how loudly they yell. I miss being able to swim away. I miss controlling my breathing. I miss being able to sprint across the pool without taking a single breath.

The only things you hear in the water are your movements, and your thoughts. You only focus on your own existence. You only focus on getting to the wall, and back again. You try to make every stroke perfect. Every move you make has to be exactly calculated.

I miss having to isolate every single muscle at the perfect moment. I miss focusing on my skill and strength all by myself, without any criticism or input of others. I miss having every part of my body work seamlessly together.

I miss being alone.

2 comments:

  1. Why can't you swim?

    Swimming sounds like a very monastic practice, the way you put it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't particularly a post about swimming.

    I think you're onto to something Mikhail. "Ascetical Aquatics"

    ReplyDelete